Old December 16th 10, 02:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dan Birchall[_3_]

Default Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

(Anonymous Remailer (austria)) wrote:
This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations?

Yeah! Remember the great course-calculation triumphs of NASA's Mars
Climate Orbiter and ESA's Beagle 2!

And if you want to talk Venus, read Wiki's page on Russia's Venera
series probes. Took 'em 12 tries to actually get something to Venus
and have it still work.

Apparently lobbing things at other planets is a little "hit or miss,"
to borrow an all-too-appropriate expression.

-Dan, unsure what this has to do with policy anyway.

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.