Old December 17th 11, 04:06 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,us.military.army,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
[email protected]

Default Happy V. I. Day {Victory in Iraq}

On Dec 18, 7:36*am, "Jonathan" wrote:
Should December 25, 2011 be given the honor of that title?

Despite all the problems and controversy, the Iraq
campaign should be remembered as one of America's
most daring, difficult and significant victories in our
history.

Planting the US flag in the very heart of Islam, and winning
a war of attrition against some of the most viscous people
and tactics the world has to offer, is an enormous
accomplishment.

Since we can now see, it turns out the old 'domino-effect'
only applies for things people...want, like freedom
and democracy.

Jonathan

If anything had been accomplished beyond spending tons of money and
thousands of lives, one might call it a victory. But nothing was. The
death of Saddam (born 1937) would have put the country about where it
is now - a collection of factions armed to the teeth unwilling to
cooperate in an uneasy truce. Inability to form a government, let
alone a stable one, after an election is not the hallmark of a
democracy.

The war of attrition is clearly lost, have you looked at the world
economic situation lately? The idiot wastage of money and people in
the war on terror is a significant, if not dominant, part of the
cause. The main problem was, and is, inattention to controlling greed.
A lot of evil happened while we were looking the other way.

Peter.