Old August 1st 19, 08:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default CO In Your Coffee? : Weird Space Hazards - Vol. 1

Greetings,

I fully expect that the poor souls on ISS and most near-term future space missions will be forced to consume instant coffee. A few grams of dehydrated coffee per serving is much less mass to deliver than the whole beans or even ground coffee, and the machinery needed to turn it into coffee is considerably lighter and simpler.

I seem to remember reading/hearing of astronauts making their coffee / tea with the water straight coming from the fuel cells, i.e. the fuel cell water was the right temperature for coffee/tea.

The thought of months or years without real coffee makes me tremble. I have finally found a reason why I wouldn't volunteer for the space mission if asked.

Such are the sacrifices for working in space, and I'm pretty sure I'm not psychologically ready for that sacrifice.

Regards
Frank