Old November 9th 08, 07:20 AM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

Default Before, TreBert said nothing could slow down light.

Painius wrote:
"oldcoot" wrote in message...
On Nov 2, 5:44 am, oldcoot wrote:

Y'all might want to read up on the 'River' model of black holes, which
is actually being circulated in mainstream venues. It's based on the
old Painleve`-Gullstrand metric, which describes gravity as the
accelerating flow of space into mass, but now updated to include black
holes.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...iCHimN3wV?p=ri...

Uh.. the intended, original paper didn't show up in that batch. So
here it is -

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0411/0411060v2.pdf

..with the caveat that it's portraying an allegorical rather than
literal flow of space, requiring a rather convoluted mathematical/
geometrical representation of how the allegorical flow "spirals and
twists" relative to the flat background. A much simpler, math-less
depiction would just let the 'background' itself do the spiraling/
twisting flow into the BH.

That's a hekuva theory, oc, except of course for as you say
their automatic "nullification disclaimer"...

". . . The picture of space falling like a river into a black
hole may seem discomfortingly concrete, but the aetherial
overtones are no more substantial than in the familiar
cosmological picture of space expanding. . . ."

How can such educated people write 16 *amazing* pages
about space flowing like a river and yet fail to "get" that
space actually does just that?!

Their model is nullified in the same way the "cosmological
picture of space expanding" is nullified by the belief that
space is a void nothing! When are they going to accept
the obvious truth that space is a high-grade vibrating
energy of such tight and tiny wavelengths that it appears
tremendously "particle-like"? Very much like a river, it
flows into matter. And causes gravity. Where's the beef?

Why are these learn�d people such freakin' wussies?!

Now you say "freakin' wussies". I agree, 99.9% wussies they have been
for going on decades.

btw, I like your flowing space that causes gravity, because it goes
along with my 1e100 flow of photons per atom.

~ BG