Old May 28th 04, 10:16 PM
Charles F. Radley

Default "Reinventing the Solar Power Satellite" paper

"Robert Lee" wrote in message ...

One other thing comes to mind, if you are pumping energy into the
atmosphere, it seem that you maybe
producing waste heat as well, that could also play a role in global
warming, so you would still have to find a
way to remove the CO2 and Methane for the atmosphere in order prevent
continued global warming.

Of course, the decrease in CO2 emissions could offset the waste heat
produced. I guess someone would
have to do the math to find out.

Global warming is not caused by waste heat, it is caused by the
greenhouse effect. Greenhouse gases, e.g. CO2, traps natural heat
coming in from the sun, and prevents it from being radiated back to
space.

The amount of solar energy trapped in this way is at least thousands
of times greater than all the waste heat humanity is creating.

I did the calculation once a few years ago, I will see if I can find
the data. I say thousands to be conservative, it could be more, I do
not remember.

The solution to global warming is to stop emitting greenhouse gases.
That means eliminating fossil fuels, or sequestering all the CO2
underground.

Once that is done we are free to generate as much waste heat as we
want, it will simply be radiated out into space along with the
re-radiated solar energy, with no detectable net change to the overall
temperature of the planet.