Old May 18th 04, 09:54 PM
Alex Terrell

Default "Reinventing the Solar Power Satellite" paper

(Derek Lyons) wrote in message ...
(Charles F. Radley) wrote:
I have never seen anybody present a holistic per barrel cost for oil.

Mostly because such a 'cost' is a philosophical designation, not an
accounting one. When the eco-philosophers climb out of their ivory
towers and generate a reasonable theory and method for generating such
a cost, as opposed to generating massive quantities of hot air, you'll
see one.

D.

There are some - I recall the Economist quoted a figure from some
research institute a few years back. I think it was a little under $1
per litre - below the price of petrol in the UK, but well above the US
level.

However, the article didn't pick up on the tax raising benefit. My
view is that if Governments have to raise money, better that they tax
undesirable things like pollution and congestion than desirable things
like income and profits.