Old March 20th 07, 06:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.physics,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
[email protected]

Default How cool is VL2

On Mar 18, 10:49 am, The Ghost In The Machine
wrote:

I have no idea what POOF is in this context; neither does Acronymfinder.

A most basic search for 'Bigelow' or 'POOF' should have done the trick
as of years ago. Which planet other than Earth did you say you were
from?

What's giving you the impression of having to relocate such
an amount of mass?

6.5 billion people, of course. Did you not want to save humanity? :-)

Humanity has summarily screwed itself in more horrific ways than
either of us can count, plus we now have such a warm and fuzzy
resident LLPOF warlord(GW Bush) as our born-again pagan God to thank
for bringing us that much closer to WWIII. So, there may not be all
that many souls remaining to salvage. However, VL2 is just
representing the go-between, as a viable science platform or space
depot/gateway (potty rest-stop along the way to Venus, sort of speak).

What exactly is your objective here?

Venus L2(VL2) is simply cool enough for hosting a nifty community of
those Bigelow POOFs, or whatever else you'd care to efficiently park
within that cool zone, and that's way better off than anything ISS/ESS
or of most anything other than the LSE-CM/ISS has to offer.

The objective of VL2 is clearly scientific, and it's also offering by
far the most cost effective and viable interplanetary worthy
alternative in town. Venus is the one and only known planet that has
more of whatever it takes for sustaining intelligent other life,
including on behalf of those few of us that are not totally snookered
and thus dumbfounded past the point of no return.
-

This following tidbit is what I've been sharing with a few others that
are hell bent upon Mars, so it's not as such intended as for putting
the likes of yourself down.

Unless Earth or Mars are derived from somewhere other (the same being
said of our moon and Venus), there's simply insufficient Mars salt to
behold, and yet the ongoing investments into further exploring Mars
isn't in any way worthy of the past or ongoing efforts, at least not
for other than robust and clearly rad-hard robotics that couldn't all
that likely survive upon our somewhat salty and otherwise naked moon
that's causing so much GW trauma to our badly failing environment.

Usenet astronomy, physics and all sorts of related science remains
deathly afraid of their own MIB enforced status quo. It's clearly all
about the money, and of their otherwise having to somehow stick
everything within their Old Testament cultism, or else. ESA's Venus
EXPRESS mission is clearly having to operate in taboo/nondisclosure
mode, all because of their findings that simply do not support the
100% greenhouse or bust policy, and otherwise most likely causing a
greater degree of boat rocking from whatever their PFS instrument
readings are having to say, as only adding further insult to the
ongoing injury as caused by way of all those status quo lies we've
been told about Venus.

As I've had to stipulate upon the obvious from the very get-go;
Mars is only a 100% butt kicking go if whatever ongoing cost isn't a
factor, if decades of R&D plus mission time isn't a factor, if your
having to bring damn near everything imaginable along for the spendy
and potentially lethal to/from ride isn't a factor, if your not having
rad-hard DNA isn't a factor any more so than your not having half a
village idiot's brain isn't a factor. Otherwise, much like our
physically dark and reactive nasty moon, Mars is best suited for those
robust little rad-hard robots, that can if need be take on loads of
cosmic energy plus whatever direct meteorite hits and somewhat keep
right on ticking after thawing out each subfrozen to death night,
whereas we humans of frail DNA would need to pack along a rather
substantial cache of our banked bone marrow, and lots of ductape.

Otherwise, for a fat-waverider of an airship cruising above the bulk
of those acidic Venusian clouds, whereas it's still unavoidably made
solar warm by day, but otherwise becomes seriously a wee bit extra
cold by night, offering a rather good thermal difference to behold of
190°C, is why Venus gets so technically doable.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Venus_Ex...NY808BE_0.html
Higher in the atmosphere, above 110 kilometres, the mysteries
continue. In the higher atmosphere of a planet as close to the Sun as
Venus, why do we measure temperatures as low as 30 °C on the day side,
and even -160 °C on the night side?

"At around 60 kilometres altitude is a very thick cloud layer - a 20
kilometre-deep blanket surrounding the planet."

By which also means there's more than a few teratonnes worth of good
old fresh h2o available to easily extract, not to mention your having
all of the local renewable energy that you could possibly need as for
making that easily extracted h2o into the likes of h2o2 if need be.

Somewhat near the bottom (46+ km) zone of that robust Venus cloud deck
is also a rather nifty layer of S8 solids. Once situated well enough
below the S8 layer (say operating below 35 km by day and perhaps 25 km
by night) is where it gets much calmer and unavoidably warmer as
headed towards that geothermally active deck, a Venusian surface
that's emitting 20 some odd watts/m2 (emitting at least 256 fold
greater thermal energy than Earth's surface). Of course, not each and
every m2 is every bit as hot or as cool as any other, and of surface
elevations do exist where you could have a nighttime surface
environment of something less than 600 K, whereas many other active
zones of lava, mud ponds or of mud flows, or otherwise of those pesky
geothermal forced gas vents are most certainly more than smoking hot
spots to keep your distance from.

There's nothing that's technically all that insurmountable about
Venus, and thank God there's locally such an available cache of mucho/
spare and otherwise 100% renewable energy to burn (sort of speak).
With said available energy at thy disposal (of which obviously need
not be imported), there's almost nothing that can't be accommodated,
including while on the fly of utilizing that composite rigid airship,
or that of processing CO2--CO/O2. Of course, the usual mainstream
box of status quo thinking, of what's mostly faith-based naysayism,
gets you nowhere.

Much like the ESA Venus EXPRESS mission's robust PFS instrument, the
composite rigid airship alternative is 100% doable within existing and
thus known technology. Its size doesn't actually matter, whereas with
applications of micro electronics means that such a composite airship
could be made extremely small (within as little as one cubic meter, or
at most a few meters worth of LOA), or because of the available
buoyancy and 90.5% gravity means that such a nifty composite airship
could otherwise become 10 fold larger than anything accomplished upon
Earth, as well as hauling 70 fold as much payload per m3.

Obviously you and others of your kind don't likely grasp nor otherwise
comprehend the most basic terminology meaning of "composite", or that
of being "rigid", or the matter of fact being that such an airship
would be operating as though efficiently within nearly a 10% density
of water that's actually made better by way of that buoyancy medium
being compeised mostly of clean and dry co2, which by the way is an
extremely easy element to keep outside of this Venusian configured
airship.
-
Brad Guth