Old May 9th 05, 10:22 PM
Phil Fraering

On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:53:20 -0700, Ed Kyle wrote:

...Both Delta IV and Atlas V have the same problems
when it comes to CEV adaptation. Neither can handle
a projected 20 ton CEV without core booster
augmentation, (solid or liquid strap-on boosters).
But NASA is either going to have to live with
this or go shuttle-derived. I don't see the U.S.
government (at least not the current one) coming up
with the billions it will take to develop a new,
more powerful core rocket just to launch CEV a few
times a year.

- Ed Kyle

This is my second try at posting this.

To me this brings to mind another question: Does the CEV
need to be twenty tons?

Soyuz was designed in the 60's and weighs seven metric
tons.

Phil