Old February 2nd 04, 08:26 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
In message , Scott Hedrick
writes

"Hallerb" wrote in message
No launches or landings scheduled would be a fitting tribuite.

AH, yes, it figures that *you* would consider making their deaths useless

be a "fitting tribute".

Allen Steele suggests just this idea in his novel "Orbital Decay".

'However, in a sacred tradition dating from 1986, no manned or unmanned
rockets were ever launched from the Kennedy Space Center on January 28'.

I'm a sentimental guy, and my hair stood on end when I read his story of
the Challenger Ghost.

Well, ISTR at least one Japanese launch facility has to shut down for at
least two months because of fishing season.

Right now, NASA should be spending buckets of money on the launch
facilities. With no launches expected for months, this would be the time to
check wiring, paint, scrub and clean and do all the maintenance that was
deferred because of the launch schedule.

All the critical maintenance gets done, but now is the time for "spring
cleaning".