Old January 5th 19, 06:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Default New Horizons "stellar" course?

Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:42:32 +0100, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
wrote:

It is called “attribution _line_”, NOT “attribution novel”.

Chris L Peterson wrote:
[…] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn […] wrote:
Its trajectory is hyperbolic; it WILL leave the Solar System,
and there's no way to change that.
Incorrect.
Unless you propose that there is another object almost exactly in its
path, and we divert it to strike that object, then there is, in fact,
absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it from leaving the Solar
System.

No supporting argument or evidence, just more claims.

It's a simple fact. It's velocity is a given, and it lacks the fuel
for anything but a tiny delta-V.

Just more claims.

Tell me how you think it could be prevented from leaving the Solar System.

Sorry, I am not playing your game.

What are you talking about? How does it matter what else lies in the
outer Solar System?

Do not try to shift the burden of proof. How can it NOT matter?

Tell me how it matters? Do you perhaps think there is a brick wall out
there it's going to hit? Yeah, there might be. But I'm betting not.

I am not playing your game. The burden of proof is *on you*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shifting_the_burden_of_proof

Neither Pioneer nor Voyager were designed to leave the Solar System.

Plain wrong. Those plates, and the Voyager Golden Record, had not been made
and attached just for fun.

All the probes we have built that we knew would leave the system carry
information or material intended for ETs. That includes New Horizons.

This is plain NOT true. As I just told you, different from the Pioneer 10
and 11, and Voyager 1 and 2 missions, the New Horizons mission originally
would *end* at Pluto–Charon. We are in the *extended* mission phase now.

Only the Pioneer 10 and 11 spacecrafts carry a golden plaque (, and only the
Voyager 1 and 2 spacecrafts carry the Golden Record on whose cover the same
images can be seen as on the Pioneer plaque.

There was an unofficial crowdfunding campaign for a “Golden Record 2.0”
for New Horizons, but it failed to meet its goal in time:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31060842/one-earth-message-a-digital-voyager-golden-record/faqs

And as for the official material that went aboard New Horizons, by contrast
apparently nobody put much thought into how to explain it to E.T.:

https://slate.com/technology/2018/12/new-horizons-solar-system-message-aliens-extraterrestrials.html

There was simply no way to keep them in a closed orbit around the Sun.

That much is true, because their trajectories had been *designed* so that,
after exploring the outer planets, the final gravity assist would have them
leave the Sol System in different directions, to carry their message to
whoever extra-terrestrial civilization would find them.

By the time they were in the outer system, there was no way to return
them.

Because they were *never* intended to return in the first place. They were
*intended* to *leave* the Sol System, and meet E.T., if any. By contrast to
New Horizons, *from the outset*:

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/whats-on-the-record/

None of these probes could have completed their missions had
their trajectories been designed to be closed solar orbits.

You are confusing the issue here.

It was a *mission goal* for them to leave the Sol System.
NOT so for New Horizons.

End of story, F’up2 where it really belongs.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2