Old January 5th 19, 07:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default New Horizons "stellar" course?

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:42:32 +0100, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
wrote:

Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:04:36 +0100, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
wrote:
Its trajectory is hyperbolic; it WILL leave the Solar System,
and there's no way to change that.
Incorrect.

Unless you propose that there is another object almost exactly in its
path, and we divert it to strike that object, then there is, in fact,
absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it from leaving the Solar
System.

No supporting argument or evidence, just more claims.

It's a simple fact. It's velocity is a given, and it lacks the fuel
for anything but a tiny delta-V. Tell me how you think it could be
prevented from leaving the Solar System.

It was always understood that its trajectory would cause it to do so.

Since we have almost no idea what is in the Sol System beyond Ultima Thule,
this is not only an unfounded, but utterly ridiculous claim.

What are you talking about? How does it matter what else lies in the
outer Solar System?

Do not try to shift the burden of proof. How can it NOT matter?

Tell me how it matters? Do you perhaps think there is a brick wall out
there it's going to hit? Yeah, there might be. But I'm betting not.

Neither Pioneer nor Voyager were designed to leave the Solar System.

Plain wrong. Those plates, and the Voyager Golden Record, had not been made
and attached just for fun.

All the probes we have built that we knew would leave the system carry
information or material intended for ETs. That includes New Horizons.

There was simply no way to keep them in a closed orbit around the Sun.

That much is true, because their trajectories had been *designed* so that,
after exploring the outer planets, the final gravity assist would have them
leave the Sol System in different directions, to carry their message to
whoever extra-terrestrial civilization would find them.

By the time they were in the outer system, there was no way to return
them. None of these probes could have completed their missions had
their trajectories been designed to be closed solar orbits.