Old July 16th 03, 04:02 PM
Len

Default McDonnell Douglas GRM-29A

Scott Lowther wrote in message ...
The next issue of Aerospace Projects Review (due to go to the printer in
a day or two) has an article on the McD Global Range Mach 29 Aerospace
Plane. This was a 1980's single stage to orbit lifting body, but with a
rather goofy engine arrangement... three SSME's in the tail, one in the
*nose*. It took off like a Harrier in a horizontal attitude, but
straight up.

The data available on it is a bit sketchy, but what I've got is in here.
it's an interesting design. A view of the whole issue is online at:

http://up-ship.com/apr/images/v5n2all.jpg

I was rather surprised to see this in print, Scott,
since it was rather closely held for a long time.
I did the original concept design for this configuration
--and all of the competing configurations by the other
companies--while a consultant at ANSER. The engine
arrangement is a little different from what you mention,
but I do not feel free to say more.

The overall project was derailed by false NASP promises
--not by technical barriers.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc. and Third Millennium Aerospace, Inc.
( http://www.tour2space.com )