Thread: Polar astronomy
View Single Post
Old March 2nd 18, 06:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher
external usenet poster

Default Polar astronomy

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 10:43:34 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 13:01:36 -0800 (PST), Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Lots of innovations to consider during the period of polar twilight after the March Equinox at the South Pole station. The same principles apply to polar sunset as they do at habitable latitudes as objects close to the central Sun will appear during that period to the left of the sun for an extended period of about 6 continuous weeks before polar darkness sets in.

On the Solstice neither Venus nor Mercury will be observed for the same reason that at daily rotational midnight, the body of the Earth prevents objects close to the Sun from being observed.

Polar twilight would not only present unique challenges but also unique opportunities including observational innovations relating to orbital elements as rotation is residual in the North pole region (zero at the North polar latitude itself). Just a normal perspective in an era that is less so.

I'm a poor writer, as no doubt many here have noticed on more than one
occaision; but what you publish here is indecipherable.

Haven't you considered how much your choice to not take the time to
organize your topics into complete subjects that you then explain in a
systematic and through way - hurts your agenda?

You can't do what you claim to want to do - on Usenet. We are not a
bunch of neo lithic tribal-types sitting around the campfire groping for
answers in darkness. We don't want to go back to that - even if you do.

Unless you haven't noticed, the neolithic astronomers 5200 years ago and their understanding of celestial motions surpass that of celestial sphere enthusiasts in so many different ways. They understood that the moon was lost to the glare of the Sun for a number of days during its monthly circuit of the Earth and preserved in a 1/4 ton stone surrounding a monument with an equinox alignment.

http://www.knowth.com/stooke/knowth4.gif

The same principle applies to the planets and stars as they become lost to the glare of the central and stationary Sun periodically, depending on whether orbital motions of the other planets are being discussed or the Earth's own orbital motion where the stars transition from an evening to morning appearance.

Now I regret that people don't take an expansive historical view of human involvement in astronomy but have boxed themselves into a narrow and manufactured history meant to promote the notions of theorists and the hobby of celestial sphere observing. I no longer maintain the pretense that society has any interest in interpretative astronomy where cause and effect match observations so I come here to the unmoderated Usenet to put form to perceptions using as much imaging as possible and with the greatest respect for older astronomical traditions.

People develop a more gentle perspective as they get older ,at least most people do while others don't or can't change as they are content with their lot.