Old January 8th 10, 06:01 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
eric gisse

Default Dark Halo Around Our Galaxy Looks Like Squished Beach Ball

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Of course, not mentioned in the article is the fact that this shape of
"dark matter halo" matches the configuration one might see with MOND.

MOND is a heuristic, so that is sorta expected. But MOND doesn't actually
predict extra matter, just modified gravity. Which is why MOND has been
soooo quiet since 2006, because weak lensing surveys **** all over it.

Yousuf Khan
+++
SPACE.com -- Dark Halo Around Our Galaxy Looks Like Squished Beach Ball
"But the new study found that the Milky Way's halo isn't exactly
spherical, but squished. In fact, its beach-ball form is flattened in a
surprising direction ? perpendicular to the galaxy's visible,
pancake-shaped spiral disk."
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...er-halo-milky-

way.html

While it would be dishonest to say the result is 100% expected, I am not
sure why it is phrased like everyone is surprised.

Dark matter halos of other galaxies don't have spherical symmetry so why
should ours? Just because it simplifies computations doesn't make it a
correct physical model.