Old January 29th 09, 09:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

Default Another problem with longer flights

Pat Flannery wrote:
The water pressure might be pretty high, as some estimates put the
ice cover as being many miles thick.

That presumes Europa started thawed and then froze right - with the
ice expanding inwards as well as outwards? Otherwise, since water
expands when it freezes, if it started frozen and had its core thawed
by tidal (?) forces there might not be as much pressure.

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why." I think more often in terms of
"when," sometimes "where;" always "how much." - Joubert