Old February 23rd 04, 07:49 AM
jerry warner

Default Could a small black hole surprise us on earth.

any black hole of palpable size would be detected long before it got here.
a pea is of palpable size when it comes to black holes, especially within the
confines of a solar system.

black holes smaller than a pea would do significant damage if not destroy the
earth
if the two collided, however such entities are probably rare at this age in the
universe
some 13 billion years old?, and their numbers in our galaxy would be
statistically
nonexistent. Thats my opinion anyway -

Black holes or related high energy entities on the order of a molecule or an
atom or
smaller, must be exceedingly rare, as compared with say neutrons? Neutrons do
pass through the Earth daily without any short term recognition. I believe the
processes which may have once generated very small singularities, are long
gone.

But I could be wrong about all of this -
Jerry

wrote:

I have a question.

We would probably get some warning about a comet or an asteroid - but what
about a pea size black hole? If one hit the moon would it be like a match
to paper and suck the entire moon into itself even if it took some time?
Could an invisible small black hole just show up over the Sierra Nevada and
no one would have foreseen it and it would destroy the earth? Would it
destroy the earth instantly or would there be some fantastically horrible
slow whirlpool of matter into a small black hole so that we would all have
time to feel intense fear?

I suspect these questions have been answered many times before but I have
been looking for several months and I bet other's are wondering too.