Old February 23rd 04, 04:05 AM
Davoud

Default Could a small black hole surprise us on earth.

Chris L Peterson:
...The most interesting case would be if its approach was at a low speed.
Then, it would strike the Earth at about our escape velocity (11.2 km/s). It
would probably end up in an orbit around the Earth's center of mass, but that
orbit would actually be inside the Earth. Although it would take a very long
time to swallow up all the Earth's mass, the gravitational effects would be
devastating.

*****

Pub Patron: "Is the world really going to end?"

Ford Prefect: "Yes."

PP: "Couldn't we put a paper bag over our heads?"

FP: "Yes."

PP: "Would that help?"

FP: "No."

(Or words to that effect) - Douglas Adams, HHGG

I, for one, will be sleeping with a paper bag over my head tonight.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com