Old February 22nd 04, 11:10 PM
Sam Wormley

Default Could a small black hole surprise us on earth.

wrote:

I have a question.

We would probably get some warning about a comet or an asteroid - but what
about a pea size black hole? If one hit the moon would it be like a match
to paper and suck the entire moon into itself even if it took some time?
Could an invisible small black hole just show up over the Sierra Nevada and
no one would have foreseen it and it would destroy the earth? Would it
destroy the earth instantly or would there be some fantastically horrible
slow whirlpool of matter into a small black hole so that we would all have
time to feel intense fear?

I suspect these questions have been answered many times before but I have
been looking for several months and I bet other's are wondering too.

Presumable a fast moving (with respect to the Earth) black hole wouldn't
stick around very long... would probably cause plenty of damage on the
way through. A pea size black hole is more massive than our moon.
Conservation of momentum applies.