Old October 10th 06, 02:31 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverlight
In message , nytecam
writes

HJK Wrote:
I have tred to make an online calculator based on a pdf I found at
http://www.cdeagle.com/omnum/shadow1.pdf
The method described in the document can be used to find eclipse for
geostationary satellites caused by the earth shadow ...snip...

It should look like this http://www.astroman.fsnet.co.uk/sat.htm

As a matter of interest, as seen from UK, most Geosats are located ~7
degrees below the celestial equator and can transit the Sun at this
time of year [check Sun's declination is ~-7 degrees!] but can ONLY BE
OBSERVED WITH SAFE SOLAR FILTERS - you've been warned!

Wow. I knew ISS has been imaged crossing the Sun but it never occurred
to me that geostationary satellites crossed it.
On the subject of filters, do you know of a supplier of metal-on-glass
filters that fit a long lens (67 mm filter for preference, but I'll take
what I can get)
My favourite filter was the black plastic one from Solar Products NCH,
but I don't think they are still in business.
Jonathan - I use the Baader plastic 'silver' film filter from TelescopeHouse.com @ ~£15 for A4 sheet.

Nytecam