Old May 15th 04, 09:32 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-05-12, Anthony Frost wrote:
In message
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:

...I've always been confused about that one. I've heard differing
stories over the years, first that it was mandantory even if you
didn't own a TV set, then it was mandantory only if you owned a set,
and then it varied on what part of Englandland you lived in.

You are required to have a valid licence for the operation of equipment
capable of receiving broadcast TV signals. 120 quid for a colour set
(VCRs are assumed to be colour equipment) less for black and white only.
The licence covers all equipment installed on the premises.

There's odd exemptions involving battery-powered equipment, though;
wither they don't require it or a license in the owning premises
suffices to cover it being used in an unlicensed property; there may
also be certain exemptions in odd cases.

(this was explained to us when we were students, during which time I
think I paid for an average of about a fifth of a TV license a year and
didn't begrudge never using it g)

It's something you learn to appreciate, like having unarmed police.

-Andrew Gray