Old September 23rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rusty

Default Another ISS tourist

OM wrote:
On 22 Sep 2006 14:45:06 -0700, "Rusty"
wrote:

...Pat, if this isn't a joke, can you cite source for this one?

...Whoops, I forgot. For cites, you go to Dr. PDF.

Janes
http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_f...0516_1_n.shtml

Milavia
http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-27/su-27_ops.htm

http://www.mexico.vg/mexico/mexico-h...e-about-a-doze

...Interesting. I'm assuming Mexico chose to buy the Russian surplus
fighters based on cost concerns, then? Rather than some sort of deal
with the US? Hell, it's not as if we're not about to have a lot of
Tomcats slated for the scrapyard.

OM

Yea, but the Tomcats are old and getting too expensive for the U.S. to
maintain. That's one of the reasons the Navy is getting rid of them.
Even if the U.S. gave the Tomcats to Mexico, it would probably be too
costly for them to maintain. Russian equipment is rugged and more
easily maintained by 3rd world countries like Mexico.

Rusty