Old July 18th 19, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default SpaceX Capsule Explosion

"David Spain" wrote in message ...

On 7/17/2019 7:40 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:

Doesn't matter because NASA wants only new Dragon 2 capsules for crew.
After their crew flight, they will be refurbished for commercial cargo.
Part of that refurbishment is to remove the abort system to allow for
more cargo up-mass and down-mass.

Jeff

Jeff that's a great point and I remember reading about that. Seems stupid
on NASA's part, they lose the cost savings of reusable hardware. But hey
this is the organization behind the SLS so what should I expect?

Oh, I don't know. This incident suggests perhaps They're right in being
conservative.
It may be design issues like this that convinced NASA they only wanted the
single-shot with SpaceX.

Remember, Boeing will be re-using their capsule. It IS in fact possible
there are design issues that made NASA comfortable in one case, but not the
other?

Or... it could just be, "we don't trust the new folks, no matter what."

Do you have a cite for the latter part (removal of abort system for more
cargo)? I'd like to read up on that. First I've heard of it.

Dave

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/