Old July 18th 19, 01:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default SpaceX Capsule Explosion

On 7/17/2019 7:40 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:

Doesn't matter because NASA wants only new Dragon 2 capsules for crew.
After their crew flight, they will be refurbished for commercial cargo.
Part of that refurbishment is to remove the abort system to allow for
more cargo up-mass and down-mass.

Jeff

Jeff that's a great point and I remember reading about that. Seems
stupid on NASA's part, they lose the cost savings of reusable hardware.
But hey this is the organization behind the SLS so what should I expect?

Do you have a cite for the latter part (removal of abort system for more
cargo)? I'd like to read up on that. First I've heard of it.

Dave