Old July 17th 19, 12:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default SpaceX Capsule Explosion

David Spain wrote on Tue, 16 Jul 2019 13:58:46
-0400:

On Rand Simberg's blog, George Turner postulated they (titanium values)
were to allow engine restarts back in the days when Dragon V2 was
supposed to use propulsive landing. With burst disks you don't get that
capability but don't need it because Dragon V2 will use its chutes and
ocean landings only. I'd have to study it more myself to know for a fact
if that is true...

That sounds wrong to me. These engines are throttleable and it
shouldn't matter if the propellant system is pressurized. Set
throttles to zero and the engine shuts off. Open the throttles and
the hypergolics hit the combustion chamber again and the thing lights.

--George Bernard Shaw