Old July 16th 19, 06:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default SpaceX Capsule Explosion

On 7/16/2019 7:03 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

The space people I follow on Twitter are already questioning why a
titanium check valve was used in the first place (posting a link to an
old paper on the fact that NTO can cause a fire with titanium parts if
enough energy is present). I don't know how common titanium check
valves would be in aerospace NTO plumbing (some on Twitter were saying
it's common). I also don't know if this was such a big issue, why
didn't NASA oversight catch this?

Right now, I'm more confused than anything.

To correct the situation, the titanium check valves will be replaced
with 'burst valves'; essentially a pressure plate that breaks when
full helium pressure hits it, which prevents the backflow problem.
Another case of 'simpler is better'.

This sounds like a sane solution, so that NTO will never get into the
helium plumbing by mistake.

Jeff

On Rand Simberg's blog, George Turner postulated they (titanium values)
were to allow engine restarts back in the days when Dragon V2 was
supposed to use propulsive landing. With burst disks you don't get that
capability but don't need it because Dragon V2 will use its chutes and
ocean landings only. I'd have to study it more myself to know for a fact
if that is true...

Dave