Old October 12th 03, 07:09 PM
Lurking Luser

Default 1/3" CCD

"Chris L Peterson" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:39:48 GMT, "Lurking Luser"

wrote:

Hmm, I have been using a 80mm f/5 scope which gathers a fair amount of
light, but of course has a short focal lemgth of 400mm. Do you think a
barllow would help extend the focal length?

For planetary imaging, you aren't even in the ballpark. Figuring that

these
small sensors typically have pixel sizes around 5-9u, you are operating at

pixel scale of 2.5-4.5"! That is at least 10 times too big for imaging

planets,
where short exposure times can beat atmospheric seeing.

Put another way, you are getting only about 5 pixels across Mars, where

you
should be getting 50 or more. With such a short scope, it is going to take

more
than a barlow to improve things much. If you don't have a longer focal

length
scope available, you should be looking at eyepiece projection. Otherwise
switching to another camera will give no improvement at all, and if the

pixels
are larger (as they probably will be) you will lose even more of the

scarce
detail you already have.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Thanks! Like I say I'm new at this. It sounds like projection is my only
hope with the equiptment that I have (or can afford right now).

I do have a 60mm f12 that I used with a 3x barlow to get a blurry picture of
mars.

I know I'm pushing all kinds of optical limts, but using the 80mm f5, a 2x
barlow and a 20mm eyepiece with a project length of 60mm I should be able to
get 160x which -should- be within an 80mm objective's optical range.

Or would I have better luck using the 60mm f12 with a 20mm lens, a 3x barlow
and a projection length of 60mm? If I am doing the math correctly that gives
210x which is beyound a 60mm len's limit. The problem with the 60mm scope is
I can't get it to focus with the barrlow at 2x. I have to put it directly
into the tube, which gives me the 3x barlow.

I guess I am going to have to save up for a better scope.