Old October 11th 03, 11:02 PM
Chris L Peterson

Default 1/3" CCD

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:33:17 GMT, "Lurking Luser"
wrote:

I'm new to astro photography and have been using a little Vivitar 1/4 inch
color ccd camera with 'alright' results, but I want sharper images. I don't
have a lot of cash. But I found a 1/3 inch black and white ccd for about $50
on the web. It is the cvc 50 bc. It is a very small board camera sold as a
spy cam, but I'm thinking it might work well for astro photography.

Does anyone have any expierence with this camera?

How clear will details of planets be with a black and white camera?

I'm not familiar with the specific camera you found. However, a B&W camera will
generally give substantially better performance and resolution, and will likely
show more detail with planets. Note, however, that the larger format sensor
probably also means the pixels are larger, so you may need to operate at a
longer focal length if you are currently operating near the optimal sampling
size for your system.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com