Old February 28th 20, 04:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default The future of moderation for sci.space.science, sci.space.tech

"David Spain" wrote in message ...

Yes I want to second my thanks to the efforts you have put in Greg.
I'm going to top post because I just wanted to say that I don't use twitter
so getting news via sci.space.science and sci.space.tech have been very
useful to me now that sci.space.news has gone dormant. I don't expect them
to be discussion groups because moderation in lieu of compensation is just
too much to expect. But as a noise free source of news I really appreciate
what has been done and I hope it can continue.

It is of value to me.

Thanks

Dave

On 2020-01-22 8:15 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
I thought I would never say this, but I have now given up on
sci.space.science and sci.space.tech. I think pretty much every one else
also has.

So as far as I'm concerned, the next time the annual bill comes for your
account for moderation feel free to cancel.

Thanks for the effort you have put in Greg.

Alain Fournier

On March 21, 2015 Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
The time has come the moderator said, to talk of news and ships and
space facts of invoices and things. And if he is paying not And whether
pigs have wings
Quite seriously, my annual bill has come for the account I use to manage
moderation of sci.space.tech and sci.space.science.
I have to decide within the next week or so whether to bother renewing
it or simply cancelling it.
To be clear, it is NOT about the money, or even really the time I put
into it. It's about whether it has a future.
Two of my fellow moderators seem to have dropped completely off of
Usenet, so if I do keep on moderating, I may look for a co-moderator to
share the light burdens.
In the past few years, due almost exclusively due to the efforts of Paul
Schleck, we now have automatic news feeds and twitter feeds. This was in
theory to drive up more traffic and more discussion, but in reality it
appears to have done very little.
If folks have ideas to increase traffic and discussion, please contact
me.
However, I will not be lowering the standards (which are already
honestly a bit lower than I might otherwise wish).
I have never blacklisted any individuals, nor do I plan to. I will
moderate to the best of my ability and discretion, strictly on content.
This leaves out many of the more speculative type posts and pretty much
any of the conspiracy theories out there.