Old January 23rd 20, 02:15 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default The future of moderation for sci.space.science, sci.space.tech

I thought I would never say this, but I have now given up on
sci.space.science and sci.space.tech. I think pretty much every one else
also has.

So as far as I'm concerned, the next time the annual bill comes for your
account for moderation feel free to cancel.

Thanks for the effort you have put in Greg.

Alain Fournier

On March 21, 2015 Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
The time has come the moderator said,
to talk of news and ships and space facts
of invoices and things.
And if he is paying not
And whether pigs have wings

Quite seriously, my annual bill has come for the account I use to manage
moderation of sci.space.tech and sci.space.science.

I have to decide within the next week or so whether to bother renewing it or
simply cancelling it.

To be clear, it is NOT about the money, or even really the time I put into
it. It's about whether it has a future.

Two of my fellow moderators seem to have dropped completely off of Usenet,
so if I do keep on moderating, I may look for a co-moderator to share the
light burdens.

In the past few years, due almost exclusively due to the efforts of Paul
Schleck, we now have automatic news feeds and twitter feeds.
This was in theory to drive up more traffic and more discussion, but in
reality it appears to have done very little.

If folks have ideas to increase traffic and discussion, please contact me.

However, I will not be lowering the standards (which are already honestly a
bit lower than I might otherwise wish).

I have never blacklisted any individuals, nor do I plan to. I will moderate
to the best of my ability and discretion, strictly on content.
This leaves out many of the more speculative type posts and pretty much any
of the conspiracy theories out there.