Old December 18th 18, 08:26 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

Default No Alien Visits Ever

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote
A distinct possibility, but not the only one. Consider where human
civilization could be if it had progressed from the ancient civilizations,
without the (probably unintentional but still careless) burning of the
Library of Alexandria by the Romans under Julius Caesar, without
the Dark Ages, the Inquisition, all the small wars and the two World Wars.

Interesting viewpoint,.
I do however think it is just those periods of war
where technology significantly advanced.
We see in WW2 for example V1 V1, invention of microwave radar (magnetron),
basically one part of the species trying to outsmart the other part.
War being part of evolution,

The Germans burned many books.. yet their submarines and missiles were a game changer.