Old January 10th 04, 10:45 AM
Dr. O

Default UPI Exclusive: Bush OKs new moon missions

"Brian Thorn" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:22:55 +0100, "Dr. O" dr.o@xxxxx wrote:

A 'true' Mars mission would last up to three years and would therefore
create its own host of problems (logistics). A manned fly-by would

already
take more than a year and would be doable within a decade (my guess is

that
it WILL be done within a decade).

The Project Prometheus nuclear powered engine seems to have a key role
in the Bush deep space proposals. If we get nuclear engines, the time
scales drop radically.

AFAIK Prometheus isn't usable for human space missions, only for deep space
probes. Like I already said: NASA shouldn't fall into the trap of using the
newest a greatest unobtanium technology to accomplish the goals set out by
the President, or the whole program will simply get cancelled due to cost
overrurns.