Old September 4th 18, 11:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Leak on Soyuz

In article ,
says...

https://www.rt.com/news/437522-soyuz-air-leak-blunder/
Appears it was NOT a micrometeorite but was a hole drilled on Earth and
covered up!

It's pretty damn obvious from the picture of the actual hole that it was
made by a drill. The tool marks next to the hole seem to indicate that
someone was on the potato juice when they did it.

NASA really needs to do everything it can to speed up the first couple
of flights of each commercial crew vehicle. Relying on Russia to fly
our astronauts to ISS and back is not nearly as safe as you'd think.
Looking at the safety record of Russian launches over recent decades
should give anyone pause.

Trying to meet some arbitrarily high safety goal when the alternative is
Soyuz is daft. Fly the damn test missions, see what goes wrong, fix the
issues, then fly the thing operationally. And finally, don't treat the
safety side of things like it's "done" after that. Continuously monitor
safety issues and make improvements along the way. Continuous
improvement is a philosophy that helps safety in the long run.

Jeff