Old May 15th 13, 06:33 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Speed of light surpassed?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 19:59:40 -0700, wrote:

YOU ARE VERY CRAZY!

Saul Levy

saul once again your acumen and verbose posts perplex me to a point
where I just want to slap you and say WAKE THE **** UP AND MAKE SENSE

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:27:18 -0700, Siri Cruise

I was watching a show the other night hosted by Stephen Hawking, about the
universe since it's creation up until now. I thought it was very well done is
as
much as I could actually understand most of it. But one thing was mentioned,
and
I wish I had written the numbers down, and that was that at so many seconds
after the big bang, the universe was already so many thousands of light years
across. I thought...HUH? If that were the case, then the universe, at that
point, would have had to have been moving faster than the speed of light. to
get
that big is such a small span of time. Can anyone shed any light on this or
should I have written the numbers down? Thanks.

The axiom is that things are allowed to move faster than light, as long as that
is not being used transmit information.

Theoretically space contracts faster than light inside an event horizon,
carrying along particles at the same speed. This speeds combined with the limit
on the speed of information is what creates the event horizon.

It is also theorised that space can expand faster than light, creating another
kind of horizon. Galaxies carried away at superliminal speeds disappear beyond
this horizon because any messages from them would be carried away faster than
they could propagate.