Old July 8th 03, 02:45 AM
Dr Robin Bignall

Default Arthur C.Clarke

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:13:59 +0100, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Dr Robin
Bignall writes

It is quite hard to judge how the future, even 20 years, will develop. In
1963 I saw my first Startrek, with Kirk flipping his portable phone.

That's quite a trick, when it wasn't even premiered until 1966. It
wasn't shown here for some years.

That is weird! My memory tells me that I saw my first Star trek not long
after I got married, which was Dec 7, 1963. I was sure it was while we were
living in Muswell Hill in a flat, from which we moved to a house in south
London 1967. It could not have been in the States, because my first trip
was in 1969.

Obviously my memory is wrong, but it could not have been after 1972, for we
emigrated to France at the end of that year. I stayed 15 years, and my
family is still there.

So your 'some years' cannot have been too many! I remember the episode. One
of the crew (I think) developed extra-sensory powers, and when he used them
his eyes glowed. It was so much better than Dr Who (which I thought was
rubbish, probably because I've been reading serious SF and fantasy since I
was nine)) and other 'made-for-TV' SF, that I was spellbound.

--

wrmst rgrds
Robin Bignall

Quiet part of Hertfordshire