Old July 7th 03, 06:12 PM
John Carruthers

Default Arthur C.Clarke

I had not even heard of O-levels
at 15, for my secondary modern did not take any exams at all. If you

lived
long enough to get your certificate of eligibility which ensured

that no
longer would you have to have to legally attend school, and could
more-or-less read your own name, write it and work out the change

from a
pound having bought something for three and fourpence ha'penny, you

were
all set for 'life'. (My tongue was in cheek just a little, there!)

How true, I was told "there's no point in you learning your tables, -
you'll always have your slide rule "
(this was 6 months before (Sir) Clive Sinclair brought out his "pocket
calculator" )
jc

---