Old November 2nd 08, 11:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default HST repair delayed; Ares 1-X launch slips

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:56:23 -0600, OM
wrote:

I wonder if that had something to do with all the different prop tanks
in Stage 1.

The odd design of the Saturn I first stage was due to the fact that they
wanted it to be built as quickly as possible and at low cost.

...Actually, what I think Brian was referring to was the lack of
severe pogo, which IIRC was worked out to have been due to all that
tankage acting as dampeners for the harmonics that otherwise would
have had more free range had the Saturn I first stage been, say, two
big wide tanks instead of nine smaller, thin ones.

Yes, that's what I was after. But I don't know if that is actually
true.

Brian