Old December 31st 19, 08:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default What to expect

On 2019-12-30 8:19 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , says...

Happy New Year to all.

What do you expect will be the most interesting things coming up in 2020?

Commercial Crew flights to ISS. Starship tests.

Jeff

Yep 2020 will be a bellwether for Commercial Crew. I expect to see the
first flights to ISS either by early summer or early fall. I expect both
Boeing and SpaceX will pull this off before the end of next year.

Starship MK3 first flights sometime in March I think. But progress will
be incremental. I'm somewhat pessimistic and I don't think crewed
flights will take place until 2022, perhaps later. I depends upon how
much of Dragon V2 tech gets incorporated into Starship early on. Or not.
Also the *early* emphasis may actually *not* be in crewed flight for
Starship compared to an automated and fully reusable launch system for
Starlink. I think the emphasis may actually be on Starlink support for
MK4. Getting a working LEO Internet satellite cluster up and running
with a global customer base could pay the way for the costly Starship
upgrades for crew to come later. What is fascinating to me is the
incremental launch costs for Starship. If we are down at around $100/kg
of cargo, it might actually become possible for Starlink to upgrade it's
infrastructure at a speed faster than terrestrial cable can perform
roll-outs of new tech. Future bandwidth races might be between cellular
and LEO satellite constellations, with wire or fiber becoming the
anachronism due to the physical cost to upgrade it. This would be a very
new phenomenon for the satellite business. Time will tell.

Yeah sure I'm *not* saying Starship won't hold people, just not sure
exactly *when*. It isn't necessary to put Starlink up. I wouldn't expect
the ability to do so would be deferred until it can handle crew. That's
just not necessary. But to get Starlink up and running, AND to provide
the ability to be cost effective at fleet maintenance and upgrades,
yeah, it (Starship), seems quite necessary.

Happy New Year To You Too.

Dave