Old October 29th 17, 03:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Were liquid boosters on Shuttle ever realistic?

On 2017-10-28 21:47, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Musk seems to think he has enough data to declare it 'production use'
starting at the beginning of this year. I believe him before I belief
**** you pull out of your ass.

Am not debating that they can do it. And yes, they are selling launches
on refurb stages. But as I recall, they've only have 1 launch so far on
a refurb stage. All those sales are for future launches. When those
happen, then SpaceX will have demonstrated it can deliver on turning
around landed stages quickly enough to meet customer demand.

They just started selling flights on 'refurb stages' this year. Even
at the high launch rate that SpaceX has, just how many opportunities
do you think there are to refly stages? And what, in your mind,
drives how fast they must turn them? They have almost a year's worth
of 'used' stages in stock. You'd like to have a few more than that on
hand in case something goes wrong with a launch or booster recovery,
but that allows the better part of a year to refurb a stage and still
be 'fast enough' and that's pretty much a no brainer. I say 'pretty
much', because you don't seem to get it.

Until then, it is cheer leading to state that they have proven it.

Bull****.

And the day may come where a launch on refurb stage will be sold at a
premium since it pretty much eliminates the 0-day defects on a totally
new stage.

Unlikely, since that sort of kills the whole thing. The idea is LOWER
COST TO ORBIT, not higher.

Just because the future is extremely promising doesn't mean SpaceX has
already demonstrated it.

Except, of course, they pretty much have.

territory."
--G. Behn