Old July 26th 15, 04:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Ayn Rand's Utopia

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 2:49:02 AM UTC-6, Mike Collins wrote:

I also supported nuclear weapons but I certainly wasn't untroubled. You
were in North America with a 30 minute warning. In the UK that was a 4
minute warning. Vulcan bomber pilots whose function was NATO first response
wore an eyepatch so that if they lost eyesight due to a nearby nuclear
explosion they would still be able to fly using the other eye. Many people
in neutral democratic countries would also have died. The end result of
nuclear war would be the destruction of the Northern Hemisphere and the
ascendancy of the less democratic Southern hemisphere probably led by South
American countries.

But none of this is the fault of the decision of the United States to resist
the Soviet Union by having a nuclear deterrent. All of it was a consequence of
the Soviet Union gaining possession of nuclear weapons, and seeking world
domination.

What can't be changed has to be responded to as best one can.

Communist domination of the world would have been a nightmare of the same
nature as Nazi domination of the world.

John Savard