Old July 18th 13, 10:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default Elon Musk and Mars

Rick Jones wrote on 7/18/2013 :

IIRC, the family friends have mentioned that the "free" charging is
only if you buy the top-end Model S model. If you buy the lesser
model, it is a $2000 addon. I think the US average residential price
for a kWh is something like 11 cents (that is from memory and probably
wrong), but for the sake of easy math lets call that $0.10/kWh so that
is 20,000 kWh. What I don't know is how many kWhs it takes to charge
the lesser Model S. I think the battery itself is rated at 60 kWh.

But the charging stations aren't being built at people's homes, they're
being built at waypoints for people taking trips. And the charging is
supposed to be fast, although you might as well stretch your legs while
you're doing it, unlike the battery swap.

/dps

--
"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain