Old January 7th 08, 02:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

Default Ares I - Launch Vehicles for Creationists

Ian Parker wrote:
On 5 Jan, 19:33, BradGuth wrote:

I am indeed kidding. I hope everyone saw this. However the 4hr day is
perfectly correct. The serious point really is how much do we trust
our politicians to get things right. How can a creationalist sit in
judgement on scientific projects.

We have discussed Iraq (or Irak we must get correct transliteration)
ad nauseam. None of the coterie of decisions makers knew one word of
Arabic or knew anything about the Middle East. Likewise decisions
about Ares are being taken by people who are total illiterates.

There is one thing you leave out. The story of creation was split up
into days. now a day is the time the Earth takes to spin on its axis
(roughly, the sideral day is 23hr - 56min. The solar day is 24 hr).
When the Moon was formed the day was just 4hr long.

The "story of creation" doesn't count, because there's nothing of
Earth's history, physics or science that'll support such faith-based
creation crapolla.

And beside, those nearby gravity/tidal forces would have been
downright impressive, especially along with that moon initially
spinning itself like a massive gyro out of balance.

Yes indeed. It is tidal forces that put the Moon in its present
position. The fact that the Moon originated close to Earth is certain.
Computer simulations tend to show that the protoearth collided with an
object the size of Mars. The Moon formed from the debris. There was
BTW no liquid water when the Moon formed. A 4hr day is arrived at by
looking at total angular momentum.

Just at half the lunar distance of 192,000 km, as is along with the
very best of modern humanity and our applied technology could not
possibly survive upon this planet because, every stinking square meter
of elevated land would have been getting flooded and/or erupted to
death several times per day. Imagine as to what 96,000 km worth of
lunar orbit would have been doing to mother Earth (inside and out).

There was no multicelluar life for another 3.5 billion years.

Sort of makes those most recent of floods as of the very last ice-age
this planet is ever going to see, look much like taking a shower.

In other words, you've got to be absolutely kidding.

I'm kidding about creationalism, but not about that.

When did our arctic ocean basin form?

Quite recently. The current configuration of continents is the result
of Plate Tectonics or Continental drift.

When did Earth get its seasonal tilt?

Other rotations are not in the plane of orbit. The collision gave it
an axial offset of some description. The present tilt is the result of
chaos. The Moon does in fact stabalize tilt.

- Ian Parker

Who is this creationist that is in charge of judging scientific projects?