Old October 28th 07, 02:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Comet Holmes -- even more amazing than Sherlock

I came back early to image this guy. It was getting dark as I got in.
I about fell off my chair when the first frame came in.

This comet is leaving its outburst behind!

That bright "star" is the nucleus of the comet and not a star at all.
While the odds that this is due to an impact with something in the
asteroid belt is "astronomical" it is sure starting to look like a
possibility. But getting hit twice in a bit over 100 years? I don't
like those odds. Still...

It has faded a lot in maximum intensity. I used 10 second frames here
and didn't come close to saturating. The night I left I was saturating
at just over one half second at this 2x2 binning scale. 1.003" per pixel.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=10x10", RGB=5x10" all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM,
Paramount ME

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P17HOLMES10-28-07-01.0UTLUM10X10RGB5X10SEC2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1379