Old January 19th 05, 03:59 PM
Uncle Al

I was interested to read this on the Seti League web site:

Parasitic SETI
Dear Dr. SETI:
As a Satellite dish owner and a strong interest in SETI, I was
wondering if anything is available to allow the home satellite dish
owner to 'search' when he is not watching TV. I do a bit of programing
and would love to help make it so home dish owners could do this. Is it
possible? What would it take? Does the dish have to follow a spot or
can it sweep the sky from a fixed position? If this is possible it
could add a million listeners to the system.

[snip]

1) What is the diameter of a home satellite dish? What is the
diameter of the Aricebo dish? Intercepted amplitude varies as the
square of that ratio.

2) What is the temperature of a home satellite dish amplifier?
What is the temperature of the Aricebo first amplifier?

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/