Old November 27th 03, 02:49 PM
David A. Scott

Default The Hubble Space Telescope...

Leaf Fan wrote in
:

Unfortunately many things changed after February 1. Even the official
position of the astronaut office at JSC is that astronaut lives will
not be risked for an HST retrieval mission, i.e. the benefit of
returning HST to Earth is not worth the risko of astronaut lives. The
risk is acceptable for servicing missions where the benefit is
scientific knowledge.

The HST Program did a study to determine what would have to be done to
bring HST back to in the payload bay and while the study assumed
Columbia, i.e. no external airlock, a return mission could be
performed with an orbiter that has the external airlock, although
additional work would have to be done (servicing hardware mods for HST
to fit farther back in the bay).

The current thinking is that some sort of propulsion module will be
attached to HST to provide a controlled re-entry at the end of HST's
life.

Craig Fink wrote:

Interesting its not worth the RISK OF LIFE to bring it back
but it is worth the RISK OF LIFE to attach a rocket to it to
up burn it up in the atmosphere. I wonder if anybody has done
some sort of environmental study about the tradeoffs since the
mission itself and the rocket attached will add more pollution
to the air.
Maybe the need to destroy is to destroy any evidence of other
errors and short cuts taken by managers and those that built it.
Maybe they want to make dam sure it burns up even at the RISK OF
LIFE to those on the mission to destroy it so it can't be used
as evidence. Just a thought but it does kind of go along with
the thinking that one must not do anything that can leave physical
evidence to point to management and there friends.

David A. Scott
--
My Crypto code
http://cryptography.org/cgi-bin/cryp...c/scott19u.zip