Old March 6th 16, 07:50 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default New Spin on Challenger 1986

In article ,
says...

Congress performed a separate investigation of Challenger. Senator
Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, a noted Reagan nemesis, spearheaded the
investigation, specifically looking for White House pressure to
launch. They found none. Among other things, no equipment had been
installed and no communications plans had been established to allow
Reagan in the US Capitol to speak to the Challenger crew live.

"In one heated exchange, Hollings grilled Rogers with questions about
whether the Reagan administration put pressure on NASA to launch
Challenger with New Hampshire school teacher Christa McAuliffe on
board to coincide with the president's State of the Union address.

'There just wasn't anything like that happening,' Rogers said.
'There's no evidence in this case.'

Later Rogers angrily snapped: 'If you can prove it, I'll come back
here and apologize!'"

- United Press Int'l, June 10, 1986

The investigation's report was quietly released later in 1986.

Thanks for reiterating this. The pressure to launch was all internal to
NASA.

Jeff