Old January 31st 16, 04:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default New Spin on Challenger 1986

I just saw a new BBC TV production on the Rogers Investigation 1986 with
the focus on Feynman. Its claimed to be based on his book "What Do You
Care What Other People Think?". I read the book years ago and it departs
faaaar away in a crucial point.

In this movie its claimed that NASA wanted to launch in cold because
they wanted to show the capability to launch spy satellites in any
climate. Instead in the book Feynman points to the real reason. Ronald
Reagan wanted a "live" interview with the teacher in space during his
State of the Union speech in Congress.

As far as I know there is still no hard evidence that this was the case.
Feynman only explained that NASA had the technical means to do such a
TV stunt without much (known) preparations. I suspect they planned to
record a live feed with Reagan to the Shuttle and later present it as
"live" in the darkened room of the Congress.

I find it awkward that there is a whole production line of new spins.
A famous book claimed a poor technical presentation, another psychological
reasons, a TV docu abnormal strong winds. Now the book that points to the
only convincing reason gots such a bad distortion.

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##