Old December 14th 04, 03:12 PM
Bob Schmall

"Zague" wrote in message
oups.com...
My question may call for an obvious answer but I need confirmation
anyway. My planetarium software doesn't go back far enough (-99 999 BC
for Starry Night) and I don't have access to it now. I might have seen
that the sky is already unrecognizable 104,000 years ago.

Would it be safe to say that, except for the Milky Way, the Moon and
planets, the nightsky would have looked totally alien to us because
nearby stars would be in much different positions in the sky?

Given the 13,000 year cycle of the Earth's polar axis movement, and that
104,000 is an exact multiple of same, the sky would have looked surprisingly
similar then and now. The rotational axis of the Earth would be pointed at
almost exactly the same place in the sky, so a few stars might be in
slightly different positions due to proper motion, but the sky overall would
be about the same.