Old February 22nd 04, 05:23 AM
quibbler

Default Project Prometheus--turbine or MHD?

In article ,
says...
(Henry Spencer) wrote in
:

In article
, Asherian
wrote:
Does anybody know whether Project Prometheus is going to
use a turbine-driven generator or an MHD?

Nobody's made any decisions at that level of detail. It
might well do something like thermionic conversion.

How would thermionic conversion work? I keep imagining
a big vacuum tube triode set up as an oscillator...
The cathode being directly heated by the reactor.

The thermionic device also needs to be able to dissipate the waste heat,
so they probably won't want to heat it directly with the core. They will
conduct heat to it and then have a system that efficiently radiates away
the excess.

Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the
threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus, 'mad cow'
disease, and many others, but I think a case can be
made that faith is one of the world's great evils,
comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to
eradicate." -- Richard Dawkins