Old February 4th 17, 04:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default The Space Race was about Power Projection - Miles O'Brien

In article ,
says...

Jeff Findley wrote:

Agreed that the system was flawed in that it lacked a crew escape
capability on a vehicle that was large, complex, and prone to failure.
As for an escape capsule being a viable add-on to the shuttle, I call
bull****.

And the primary reason that it lacked a crew escape module is because
it was impossible to safely and rapidly terminate thrust to the solids
to allow such a system to work.

Which brings us back to flying human beings on solid boosters is a
special kind of stupid.

Agreed. And the stupidity continues with SLS with some notable
differences. SLS will have a five segment SRB as opposed to the
shuttle's four segment SRB (things that are different just aren't the
same). And the SLS SRBs will not be reused, so there will be no chance
to tear them down and inspect flown SRBs for problems.

Performance uber alles. :-(

Jeff