Old May 3rd 21, 02:36 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Whisper[_3_]

Default Why No Transmissions From Space ?

On 3/05/2021 4:38 pm, Daniel65 wrote:
wrote on 3/05/2021 7:53 am:
Universe is obviusly infinite, so even if a very low probability,
there is likely an infinite number of planets with intelligent
species, who should have radio transmissions, YET we apparently
Â* never receive anything. WHY ? !

Because the "infinite number of planets with intelligent species" are so
bloody far away!!

But the first signals from the "infinite number of planets with
intelligent species" might arrive here next week!

Perhaps we've had millions of signals pass by, but they happened
millions of yrs ago?

Let's say a technologically advanced society has the capability to
transmit radio waves for 1,000 yrs before either wiping themselves out
or evolving to a different form of communication we haven't yet
discovered. The universe is about 13 bil yrs old (prob infinite imo, I
don't really buy this 13 bil yr theory), so 1,000 yrs is 0.000007% of
it's life span. That's like a 4 hour period in the life of a human that
lives to 70. It's like a guy is in a coma his whole life til age 70,
except for one brief 4 hour period where he is alert. If you miss that
4 hours in 70 yrs you'd think he was never alert.